Sunday, September 13, 2026

**Black terns over prospect lake today!

A super find by Sean ..very rare species for the park.

Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) (3)
- Reported Sep 13, 2026 07:23 by Sean Sime
- Prospect Park, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6602841,-73.9689534&ll=40.6602841,-73.9689534
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S392497257
- Media: 1 Video
- Comments: "Spotted around 8:20am just as rain began in earnest. 1 seen initially then I changed vantages and saw three. Poor cell phone video. Small terns with slate gray backs, splotchy head and white bellies. Rounded wings." 

Photos of black terns in chklist link

Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 13, 2026 06:50 by B F
- Prospect Park, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6602841,-73.9689534&ll=40.6602841,-73.9689534
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S392528799
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Photos.  Reported by Sean S.  Was heading toward the lake from the Butterfly Meadow hoping some birds seeking shelter from the rain there or the spashpad when I got the Discord alert.  I jogged down and got there just in time to see them circle the lake a few times and take off north.   I walked around the lake a few more times but didn't see them again."


Beauty is the only thing that time cannot harm. Philosophies fall away like sand, creeds follow one another, but what is beautiful is a joy for all seasons, a possession for all eternity.

--Oscar Wilde,author


--