Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Where are the sparrows?

Mid October is a time I expect those sparrow numbers. Whenever I do my lunch or post work walk through  Sparrowbowl, South Tennis House and baseball fields,I always find myself numbers. Not so this fall.

Today I found only one Song Sparrow after work. Maybe everything is hiding so well from me. Nevertheless, when there are numbers,I always catch seeing something. Perhaps Wednesday nights cold front will change our luck providing a Thursday northwest winds sparrow express.

The lake is back to "normal". Yesterday's celebrity scoter decided one day here was enough. Instead I did find four Wood Ducks lingering by 3 Sisters Islands. Yesterday the woodies were in the Upper Pool where a Great Blue Heron had The island to itself.The hen BUFFLEHEAD hung with the Ruddy Duck flock. Transitions occur through the season and thereby provide anticipations of something good each day.