Friday, October 10, 2014

After work bonus birds

Now on free time, on this active day,still more good birding was in store for me; I couldn't miss the action. From the Tennis House thru the Sparrowbowl and finally ending at the new West Wood restoration site,I picked up some bonus birds .

WINTER WREN,a late and gorgeous WOOD THRUSH in great plumage, and LINCOLN's SPARROW added to my terrific list of birds today. Two WINTER WRENs ,one in the Sparrowbowl - the vale north of the Tennis House and the other in West Woods were opposite personalities,one reclusive inside mugwort, the other effusive perched on a rebar post. The WOOD THRUSH seen excellently was one of the best I' ve seen with bright reddish head and streaky dark cheeks. There was also a SWAINSONS THRUSH in the same spot. And last, a very cooperative LINCOLNS SPARROW showcased itself well for me for over 5 minutes perched on a Redbud tree just inside the West Wood northwest corner fence.

After my crew's hard work planting West Wood and protecting it, I'm pretty happy with the outcome and birds taking advantage of the large enclosure.

Also of note ,one should also bird the ballfields west of the Tennis House. Along the construction fence at Field1, numerous PALM WARBLERS mingled with several SAVANNAH SPARROWS and Yellow rump Warblers.

And COMMON GRACKLES hold strong their numbers ,flocks I ' ve seen on Quaker Ridge slope west by the cemetery and Sparrowbowl berm. It was impossible  to tell numbers in the dense woods.

Joshua reported  this late afternoon LINCOLNS SPARROW on Nelly's Lawn inside the mesh fence enclosure.

Rain tomorrow morning but that might keep birds down.

A terrific day to with 9 species sparrows with my roving eye.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S20191404

Earlier during day
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S20192121