Wednesday, October 8, 2014

the walk home

Still quiet in the afternoons with the warm spell,without north winds means lack of birds . But it doesn't matter to me .Still my walk home from work did see two observations of note and numbers this late in the season.

Above Long Meadow,I couldn't help but notice all the CHIMNEY SWIFTS.They are out in force as I estimated a number of at least 90 birds around the Picnic House airspace.

After seeing the new West Woods site and Upper Pool wildflower meadow devoid of birds,I took the Nethermead route rather my usual ballfields route. When reaching the end of the southwest Nethermead ,where three Pines stand,I noted action in a dead pine on the left,on the upper lip of the Lullwater. There little gnats i think were active and chasing them ,using the dead pine as a launching board were 4 PINE WARBLERS that I thought was high for numbers now at one location. Among them were two first year females.With the Pine Warblers,a RUBY CROWNED KINGLET,AMERICAN REDSTART & a NORTHEN PARULA added some company. Very nice moments to savor.

Last ,the lake had 12 RUDDY DUCKS and 5 NORTHERN SHOVELERS... Still early for those duck numbers to come.

Hopefully with the next north wind supposedly tomorrow,will sparrow numbers come finally?

List. http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S20174227