Tuesday, April 7, 2015

late afternoon April chill

The after work birding walk home was productive despite the chill. I'm not looking for anything special, just some birds to feel good about. More first time arrivals marked the day as well.

The Ravine that I passed thru was fun .Golden crowned Kinglets, Brown Creeper,Hermit Thrush and a bright yellow Palm Warbler were in my sights ,my pleasure seeing these early spring typical migrants.

Passing the Nethermead Bridge, I found a Winter Wren at creek edge of Binnen.And the second time after seeing it in the Ravine, a gorgeous looking Blue gray Gnatcatcher in a Pussy Willow at that wren spot.

As I crossed the Nethermead, a falcon caught my attention.Its a high soaring hovering American Kestrel.

Now I'm soon on my way home with a stop at the lake edge on the Peninsula.In the phrag marsh ,two Swamp Sparrows are busy working the mud spot. Then I turned and saw three soaring Turkey Vultures over the Hill.

On and around the Lake, Northern Shovelers are obvious with the Ruddies. But in Three Sisters where two Black crowned Night Herons are awake, there's a sleeping single drake Common Merganser below them.I'm wondering if the bird is OK being a around this long on its own.

Earlier , as I worked fence repair,I took a quick look from the Peninsula Thumb.And there swallows zipping along with Barn and Tree included a NORTHERN ROUGH WINGED. I didn't see any reports previously so I am assuming its FOS. Rafael reported in the late morning a BROWN THRASHER on the Peninsula. His report will come soon.

Chill doesn't stop birds....

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S22742991