Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Nemesis warbler, but two thumbs up !

My nemesis bird was elusive PRAIRIE WARBLER. After pursuing this warbler since it first appeared last Sunday at Falkill path, I finally succeeded on my 6th attempt, with a "throw in " WORM EATING WARBLER for a bonus during my search.


Bobbi Manian's report of the Prairie at the south Ambergill bought my presence there on my lunch hour.Then I didn't succeed.But retreating back up the path from the Rock Arch, a buffish plumage bird flew from the shore across the creek to below a Holly tree. After a 15 second delay for it to revealed itself, it turns out to be the WORM-EATING WARBLER.This bird cooperated well,working upstream towards Esdale Bridge. So well behaved, even after it went up slope, it came back down to the stream for Bobbi and Kathy Toomey, the bird sitting motionless at one point near the wooden bridge. A gorgeous looking bird.

At the sixth attempt for Prairie Warbler, after tweets from Rob Bate (Lower Pool), then Kathy's text now placing the bird at the Upper Pool, I got to the spot after work.No luck again ! But running into Kathy, she bought me to the spot, the giant fallen oak in the water where the bird hung around for a good half hour earlier. I'll come back to look elsewhere.

Getting back to the fallen oak later on my own, in a matter of a few minutes, my PRAIRIE WARBLER has finally arrived !  It stayed a good  10 minutes , working the saplings around the oak's large base, at one point perching only a few feet above me.. Good things come to those who wait...( and worth seeing a great looking specimen ,a male bird)

In other news, a few migrants of note to report. Monica Berger reported WHITE EYED VIREO in the Vale of Cashmere. Rob Bate saw FIELD SPARROW at the back of the Upper Pool where the Prairie was. I saw a NORTHERN ROUGH WINGED SWALLOW among several swallows at the Lake; but at one point,out of the blue,swarm of swallows came in about 100 feet above surface then dispersed higher.LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH was spotted by Kathy ,seen from the Lower Pool back gate.Then there are BLUE GRAY GNATCATCHERS, about 7 I saw on my own,mostly in the Ravine /Pools region. Some of the males look quite striking, a thumbs up for this species today.

But a highlight today obviously involved Ospreys. Most of the day, two OSPREYS patrolled the sky above the pools.Staying religiously in this area, they flew back and forth,intense gaze upon the Upper and Lower Pools waters for their target,sometimes  their flight carrying them over the Ravine woods.The same could be said at the lake,likely a third Osprey ,sharing space at the end of the day with a RED-TAILED HAWK.The species presence dominated the sky above Prospect waters today.

A cold day, but very rewarding for me. Getting Worm eating and Prairie Warblers gets me motivated for my 30 species warbler year list, my only limited genera big year incentive.

-kb

*******************************

Karen O'Hearn photo

hey Peter,

finally, I located it too. It was singing it's little heart out. quite amazing. best, karen o
Prairie Warbler

*********************************************************

Kathy Toomeys list
Prospect Park, Kings, US-NY
Apr 16, 2014 12:30 PM - 4:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
35 species

Canada Goose  4
Mute Swan  4
Mallard  8
Ruddy Duck  51
Osprey  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Coot  3
Laughing Gull  3
Herring Gull  2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  4
Mourning Dove  1
Belted Kingfisher  1     Heard
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  3
Blue Jay  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  2
Tufted Titmouse  1
Brown Creeper  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  7
American Robin  X
European Starling  X
Worm-eating Warbler  1     In the Ambergill, nondescript bird with dark stripes on its head, very buffy in the sunlight
Louisiana Waterthrush  1     Lower Pool
Palm Warbler  2
Pine Warbler  4
Prairie Warbler  1     In the vicinity of the Upper and Lower Pools
Chipping Sparrow  4
Song Sparrow  1     Heard
White-throated Sparrow  20
Northern Cardinal  4
Red-winged Blackbird  8
Common Grackle  6
House Sparrow  X