Thursday, October 9, 2014

October heating up ?

With this time a transitional period as warblers wane and sparrows arriving,it looks like the former genera has the hurrah today. Based on my field observations and Tom Stephenson's BBC walk ( see the previous post below), warblers are refusing to let go.

This morning atop Lookout Hill,a small flurry of warblers appeared at Arleen's Pines at the north end of Butterfly Meadow. First two PINE WARBLERS alighted on one of the pines,then in the adjoining Pin Oak,I spotted a NORTHERN PARULA; but even better for the beautiful warbler it is was a NASHVILLE WARBLER. I saw it again along the dirt track that leads to the summit,with the bird coming to the edges ,perched on a goldenrod.

Right after this spotting,two PURPLE FINCHES landed in a Hawthorne tree.They hung around around the Butterfly meadow later. The BBC walk also recorded them as well.

Most impressive for me occurred at my afternoon work site north of the Tennis House. Flying thru the woods after takeoff ,at least by my guesstimate,over 400 COMMON GRACKLES flowed thru. October as I mentioned is blackbird month,so be on the lookout ,sometimes impressive flocks fly over in early mornings.

As I noted before,Tom' s group posted some nice birds.Flyover BALD EAGLES,GRAY CHEEKED THRUSH, 13 species warblers,63 bird species are recorded.

An interesting time for birding . If it would get better if more sparrows come ( well..White Throated looks like they are increasing their numbers)

By the way,Northwest wind tonight.Hope for tomorrow ?