Saturday, October 3, 2015

rainy reward

A working day for me as I had to supervise park volunteers by the Tennis House ,breaking up ground and planting; But at the end of my shift, a little rainy reward.

Outside along the Tennis House western fence, heavy rains fill up the pit,or kettlehole. There, a small flock of warblers gathered. Upon my exiting the Tennis House entrance,I spotted a white flash flying across the road. I search and found the small bird,a gorgeous BLACK THROATED WARBLER,a male seemingly brighter than usual ,a counterpoint to any dreary weather.

Soon, as I turned towards the water pool, I observed warblers on the ground near the water edge. The majority were PALM WARBLERS; those were joined by two drab YELLOW RUMPED WARBLERS, a PINE WARBLER,also a drab form, while above in the beech tree, a female BLACK THROATED GREEN WARBLER, and AMERICAN REDSTART increased my WARBLER list in under ten minutes. Truly for a dreary day, something special to enjoy after working all day.

Also of note ,in the Upper Pool meadow, an INDIGO BUNTING in its very handsome brown finery added appreciation. American GOLDFINCHES were there as well.