Friday, February 12, 2016

GBBC the first day Prospect

A late start for me - in fact noon- to catch up my winks after a hard work week. But blame also the frigid cold that keeps the covers on me longer. Nevertheless someone has to do a count to kick off the Great Backyard Count first day. For the short duration that even my fingers were very cold thru my double layered gloves, there were a few unexpected surprises that I was delighted in during my Prospect count.

First a stop at the lake and of course with frigid air , a frozen lake. Just the small section along the western shore remained open and in here for best bird was the hen AMERICAN WIGEON. Just six NORTHERN SHOVELERS left from the big influx in December, and that number paled with all the MALLARDS around them and add as well the 30 + COOTS.

Of course in a way the term great backyard sort of focuses on feeders. So a march to the Prospect feeders to find what's humming there. It was quite active and most outstanding were the AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES. 24 GOLDFINCHES counted and most amusing was 17 of them on the main thistle feeder. Later they were joined by the colorful EUROPEAN GOLDFINCH which GBBC does have listed on the count form. Otherwise the usual assortment of birds with ten REDWINGED BLACKBIRDS coming in to raid the feeders.A single RED BELLIED WOODPECKER crashed the party.

Further into my count walk, the surprises come. Scene of the hilights took place around and in the Lily Pool area. After crossing the Lullwater bridge, I looked across the Boathouse pond and found a few birds drinking crucial water from the ice edge. With a single Robin, two CEDAR WAXWINGS sipped along; they took off and three more WAXWINGS joined in an upward flight. I later found the five in the Lily Pool viewed from the back  new platform. A great view with these WAXWINGS in vibrant color landing and alighting on the ice. I was glad to see this species, particularly during drab February. And then another surprise, a bird from my right of the platform ,lands near the WAXWINGS and its a HERMIT THRUSH. Good bird for now.

AMERICAN ROBIN , a hardy winter species prominently display themselves at east Nethermead. At least 24 rummaging thru the leaf clutter ,then several going unto the lawn near Binnen Pool.

Backtracking towards the East wood arch, a woodpecker flew over me towards the East wood building.The bird turned out to be a YELLOW BELLIED SAPSUCKER. I ventured for a closer look and a small bird flying over me got my attention; I searched for it along the path into the east wood building. That small bird I found becomes an unexpected RUBY CROWNED KINGLET , a scarce winter visitor perhaps getting a head spring start.

Cold fingers and cold toes doesnt become much of a nuisance with nice birds to overcome the frigid challenges. It will be brutal the next two days so be smart if you venture outside. Double layers ,heavy wool socks and covering up exposed skin is a must. Seek shelter and carry those hand warmers. Recognize symptoms of frostbite and be safe. http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/staysafe/frostbite.asp

My list http://ebird.org/ebird/gbbc/view/checklist/email?subID=S27463074