Tuesday, June 14, 2016

evening lakewatch


About this time , I go on a birding break. The migration takes a toll at times on top of work week and also its good to simply take a break from chasing or even put down this bins  for awhile. But for a brief spell, with just the littlest bins I own, the lakewatch is soothing to watch in the early to late evenings at Prospect Lake.

First thing I saw are the Chimney Swifts. They fly fast in a zippy doodah fashion. Some of them come down and splash the water surface, picking away for bugs.In the distance, I also saw a GREAT EGRET on Duck Island. It eventually moved to Three Sisters, then flew out about ten minutes later,over the western trees.


On tonight's very calm lake,the two drake RUDDY DUCKS continue their peaceful presence,not a ripple from their bodies.

One thing I noted in Junes are the numbers of CEDAR WAXWINGS around. I watched about four or five doing their zippy to and fro flights to various tree perches.I just know the species even from that distance from the west shore. Then for the hope of seeing maybe skimmer , none showing up tonight, I headed home, while the moon , the alpha star Antares - Scorpius "eye"--low in the southern sky and Jupiter to the west hung over as the brightest celestial objects in the clear darkening sky.