Monday, June 6, 2016

Raven nysbirds post

Fri Jun 3, 2016 10:00 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Matthew Wills"
I've just been observing five Common Ravens on a building on 39th St. between 3rd and 4th Avenues in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Fish Crows on the offensive alerted me to their presence and I hustled down from the home office on 6th Ave to confirm what were obviously much larger corvids from 2.5 long avenues away. Spent several minutes observing of trio of youngsters on 10th story building edge. Short coasting flights, lots of hopping around, too.

39th is a truck route, so it's loud, but I did hear some modest vocalizations from these fledglings. Two chimneys and two side-by-side water towers make the roof top of this old industrial pile and its shorter neighbor a virtual avian jungle jim. Parents flew in, presumably after foraging (one at least had something in bill), and out again.

At one point a Kestrel circled over, vocalizing its displeasure at the situation.

I have a mess of photos to sort though, and should get some up on my blog Backyard and Beyond by tomorrow morning.

Keep your eyes, and ears, on the sky,

Matthew



Sent from my MetroPCS 4G Wireless Phone