Saturday, April 11, 2020

A Pine Warbler that makes my spring

I don't expect with the current COVID crisis to see many warblers this spring. Curtailing my time outdoors to protect my family, I intend to only bird Greenwood Cemetery whenever I get the few chances I decide for the next several weeks. So getting a few choice warblers will make me happy. And one of those species is the Pine Warbler.

A prime spot to bird Greenwood Cemetery for warblers is Sylvan Water. Along the southeast shore, there's a Cherry Blossom tree that attracts birds when its good. Here I spotted a Yellow-rumped Warbler and a few minutes later a Palm Warbler. A Redwinged Blackbird and a Mockingbird joined in. Heck, its nice to see any bird to appreciate our blessings nowadays. My Pine sighting didn't occur until about an hour later , farther upslope.

After doing a roundabout of sorts of the Lake area -well I ventured all the way to Valley Water, I meandered quite a bit. I was heading back to my car parked near Lake Avenue, that I decided to try  my luck again at that "productive" Cherry Blossom tree. Heading downslope , I suddenly see a bird perched  after flying from the large tree on my right. Its a bright male PINE WARBLER! Sticking around to watch, I also saw a first year bird as well and I watched several perchings from both birds. A Northern Flicker came in as well and landed eye level on the tree trunk on my left.

Running into Chris Laskowski by Pine and Central Avenues ( as I hope to get more Pine Warblers that I've gotten in the past here) , we spoke 20 feet apart (we like to be extra safe!)  Chris mentioned to me as I sat in my car as I was about to drive away, that a Louisiana Waterthrush was also at Sylvan Water but I had missed it previously. Chris also mentioned that he and Karen O had spotted a flyover Bald Eagle. After 10 minutes conversation , we parted way and I went back to Sylvan to try my luck with the Louie. That was a miss but I'm happy getting three warbler species with my favorite the Pine among them..

A later note via text  from Chris had some intriguing news. Chris said another Bald Eagle --maybe the same one-- perched in a tree with an unidentified prey. So Chris with his tuna sandwiched was able to get closer to the eagle and lunch together. That must ve been an awesome experience!. 😆

A last note : the Red-throated Loon was reported again this morning on Prospect Lake , continuing its stay as per Ed Crowne.

stay well and be safe everyone!