Sunday, February 18, 2018

Fwd: GBBC eBird Report - Prospect Park--Prospect Lake, Feb 18, 2018

A unity of ducks settled into Prospect Lake today, an Olympian theme in a way as the magical ten species was observed.

I got out late,just before 2pm ,to enjoy the brilliance of sunshine and was rewarded for my motivation. I could see in the Lake's center originally 6 RING NECKED DUCKS--all drakes- joined by at the time I counted 5 HOODED MERGANSERS with my bins. Later closer looks bought up the number to 7 &6. That's the Spirit I say!
Along my pursuit,I happened to see the HORNED GREBE;it was diving in West Island cove where also I spotted the AMERICAN WIGEON pair. Later I thought I saw two Horneds,confirmed by Kathy Toomey as those birds were far from my western shore spot.Kathy also reported near the Grebes two BUFFLEHEADS,the tenth duck species on the lake.

As it is late February,spring is starting , when ducks begin to move north , often times staging their numbers.

I bet that sounds good to ears: "spring".
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <ebird-checklist@cornell.edu>
Date: Feb 18, 2018 3:46 PM
Subject: GBBC eBird Report - Prospect Park--Prospect Lake, Feb 18, 2018
To: <prosbird@gmail.com>
Cc:

Prospect Park--Prospect Lake, Kings, New York, US
Feb 18, 2018 1:45 PM - 2:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
15 species

Canada Goose  X
Wood Duck  1
Northern Shoveler  52
American Wigeon  2
Mallard  X
American Black Duck  1
Ring-necked Duck  7
Hooded Merganser  6
Red-breasted Merganser  1
Ruddy Duck  42
Horned Grebe  2
Great Blue Heron  1
American Coot  8
Ring-billed Gull  X
Herring Gull  X

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42942238

This report was generated automatically by the Great Backyard Bird Count (http://gbbc.birdcount.org)