Thursday, October 17, 2019

Day of the Chippie

A chippy gusty wind bought in an influx of one species sparrow: Chipping Sparrow. It's at least a start with numbers. Now if we only encourage the rest of those usual sparrows to follow suit.

Will Pollard in the Sparrowbowl mentioned to me that he saw at least a hundred Chippies at the ballfields. In the afternoon as I worked the Sparrowbowl I spooked at least 25 of these birds .their skittishness allowing me to observe them in the fence as the grass along the fence edge was deep. But the grasses there offered plenty of food and cover. After work I wandered over to the ballfields now plagued by track runners and still some Chippies flushed up to the dugout fence of field 2.

Earlier with Will, a late Scarlet Tanager was spotted by Will that I couldn't locate thanks to the harsh glare.

A big wind today but hopes abound with maybe more birds tomorrow.