Sunday, October 6, 2019

Lincoln in the cove

With no intention of birding hard, I needed getting out for a two hour walk through southern Prospect. Besides I knew birds were so few on this Sunday afternoon so what the heck.

First stop was the West island cove where I stood at the south edge in front of thick native Beggar Ticks plantings in the cove. This species is a favorite for sparrows. A COMMON YELLOWTHROAT peeked through, munching away seeds plucked from within. It was at this point I noticed movement behind the warbler. Patience being my virtue, a sparrow appeared in a confined window within the large Beggars Tick plant. Enough time given me enabled me to identify the sparrow as a LINCOLN'S. I could see well its buffish breast. My time is rewarded, a small victory on this quite overcast day.

Nothing else appeared as i made my counterclockwise circuit of Prospect Lake. I did pick up Song Sparrow behind 3 Sisters and a last sparrow,a Swamp at the marsh area in front of Well Drive shipping containers. Oh I almost forgot to include the very drab CAPE MAY WARBLER  in " Willow swamp" before Three Sisters; that patchy swamp area is below a big Willow Tree.

Enjoy the week which will be rainy I heard..☔