Sunday, October 27, 2019

Prospect lake early duck haven

After the rains,the sun was peeking through motivating me to get out. A walk to Prospect lake seem like a sensible idea.

One quick look from the shore I see a dispersed number of
RUDDY DUCKS & NORTHERN SHOVELERS,an estimated 80 birds. Off towards the peninsula thumb a pair of PIED BILLED GREBES waded by the thumb point; off to the right perched under Three Sisters westetn island,a pair of WOOD DUCKS rested on tree snags above water.

I took a farther walk towards the Wellhouse. From this vantage I spotted a nice surprise , a pair of RING NECKED DUCKS, hanging out with the Ruddies near the distant shore. It's likely the first of season for this handsome species..

A check of the upper or outer Lullwater was my last spot check. Here I found more Shovelers with a single drake Wood Duck with them. By now my feet were wet from the soaked lawns so it was smart to head homeward.