Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Got that Vath!

Image result for clip art varied thrushAfter several attempts for the elusive VARIED THRUSH (VATH) , thanks to Charles Tang, I finally saw the VATH.

A stop atop the Nethermead Arches Bridge only because I saw two birders, one Caesar Castillo said he had the bird. But his sighting occurred at the Oak tree next to the Osage Orange Tree in the northeast corner of the Nethermead. I took a few minutes looking with Charles Tang pitching in to help.I then decided to try again on my lunch hour. Starting my Gator vehicle and stopping at the trash containers on the east end of the bridge, i just finished discarding some trash bags when a sudden hard tap on my shoulder from Charles got me really moving! Grabbing my bins , I ran over to the west end of the Nethermead Arches and following Charles instructions found the bird way up in the Oak tree alongside the closed path at the northwest end of the bridge. The Varied Thrush stayed up there for at least 5 minutes, my bins glued to it despite tiring arms until it moves. Finally it did, flying down to the slope towards the ascending Falkill Fall path.

Now, with the jinx bird out of the way, maybe now the floodgates will open for me with the Wilson's Warbler, Painted Bunting.....   :)

The Varied Thrush I personally saw today is not a lifer as this is my fourth intra-city sighting, the others : a  Midwood apartment parking lot; Central Park; and the last in 2013 at the same Nethermead Bridge.

In other news, the PAINTED BUNTING continues at Pier 5 although with a disconcerting warning: a lurking cat was reported nearby .. ( not good news for me!)

Thank you for subscribing to the <hourly> Kings County Rare Bird Alert.The report below shows observations of rare birds in Kings County.  View or unsubscribe to this alert at https://ebird.org/alert/summary?sid=SN35645
NOTE: all sightings are UNCONFIRMED unless indicated

Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris) (1)
- Reported Jan 07, 2020 07:44 by Heather Wolf
- Brooklyn Bridge Park, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.7017015,-73.996266&ll=40.7017015,-73.996266
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S63124124
- Comments: "Patch rock star continues. Greenish back, yellow front. Foraging near Field Sparrows again."