Yellow-bellied Flycatcher (Empidonax flaviventris) (1)
- Reported Aug 29, 2026 10:00 by Ryan Treves
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6680222,-73.96367&ll=40.6680222,-73.96367
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S387977795
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Surely the most exciting moment of the morning - an empid I’d hoped but not expected to find in the garden this fall! Seen for no more than 3-4 minutes flycatching shyly in the darkest back corner of the native flora garden, just near the mouth of the artificial stream. I quickly lost it after it crossed the fence. While it did not vocalize I feel confident in this ID, having a few run-ins with these little guys in prior years. My immediate first impression was that this empid was more compact than the multiple traill’s flycatchers I’ve seen in the past week, and exhibited a much stronger preference for deep shade. The eye ring also stuck out as clear and complete, and the wing bars very prominent. When it turned to face me I immediately noticed a bright yellowy-green color from the throat down to the belly. I tried to see this as a LEFL but just could not buy the degree of yellow and green I was seeing."
- Reported Aug 29, 2026 10:00 by Ryan Treves
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6680222,-73.96367&ll=40.6680222,-73.96367
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S387977795
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Surely the most exciting moment of the morning - an empid I’d hoped but not expected to find in the garden this fall! Seen for no more than 3-4 minutes flycatching shyly in the darkest back corner of the native flora garden, just near the mouth of the artificial stream. I quickly lost it after it crossed the fence. While it did not vocalize I feel confident in this ID, having a few run-ins with these little guys in prior years. My immediate first impression was that this empid was more compact than the multiple traill’s flycatchers I’ve seen in the past week, and exhibited a much stronger preference for deep shade. The eye ring also stuck out as clear and complete, and the wing bars very prominent. When it turned to face me I immediately noticed a bright yellowy-green color from the throat down to the belly. I tried to see this as a LEFL but just could not buy the degree of yellow and green I was seeing."
"Learn from yesterday. Live for today. Look to tomorrow. Rest this afternoon."
Snoopy, "Peanuts"