Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sandy's toll on Prospect; the appeal for support

Based on info from my supervisor, I went to check out two Prospect locations severely hit by Hurricane Sandy. And I must tell you it was quite sobering and as well amazed at nature's fury upon our region, particularly for Prospect. By now, most of you know about the scattered destruction of big old trees included among the number fallen. Today, I surveyed Payne Hill and Butterfly Meadow.

IN Payne Hill just north of Ricks Place,  you cannot pass on the road: its a mangled mess, mish mash jumble of fallen oaks and elms, about 20 fallen trees and many broken limbs; And Butterfly Meadow...what can I say ?  From the early days of my birding career 36 years ago, I always remembered those Pin Oaks that anchored the four corners of the meadow. Now half of them are gone. On the immediate slopes south and west of Butterfly Meadow, Coffee trees , Sweet gum and Oaks fell over like toothpicks. Its now a wide open sky , a huge patch of sky , the south meadow edge bereft of trees that held so many warblers. The loss of the oaks is huge, since those trees are what attracts warblers and other birds the most for oak rich insect hordes.

Though I have not checked it out yet, I heard that the Vale of Cashmere area was also devastated, a disaster.

It's a herculean task for me and my small crews cleaning up the huge mess, figured to be at least 100 trees .It may take months or less if we get help. The following weeks will be hard, challenging and exhausting.

If you want to help, please pledge dollar support to the Prospect Park Alliance. The information to donate is below:

http://www.prospectpark.org/

or

http://www.prospectpark.org/support/prospect-park-post-hurricane-recovery


There is also  from reports a volunteer effort for this weekend but word is its filled to capacity.But you can still call to see if ongoing projects are in store.

go to http://www.prospectpark.org/volunteer

or with the phone number listed  http://www.prospectpark.org/volunteer/volunteer-events-listing

Thanks


I'll keep you posted in the future. Its our park and its given us so much for birds

Peter
Pres, BBC