Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Prospect warbler show

It was a fine day for me to forget my phone today. But it wasn't a problem as two rare warblers put on a show today .Both YELLOW THROATED and PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS I was able to view thanks to the help of birders in the field , my most excellent communication array.

With the YELLOW THROATED WARBLERS, it was a split decision. The more showy one decided to hang around the perimeter of the Lower Pool back gate near Rocky Pass. It was at the latter landmark where I was awarded to a spectacular observation, using Janet Zinn's binoculars as I forgot (again) my binoculars at the office. The spectacle was this Yellow throated using the top of the short fence through the pass, alighting , taking off and again traveling along atop the fence railing. That was something to see after I finished a work task repairing the fence between the pools. Later in early afternoon, as birders gathered, this bird was all over the fallen oak timber in the water to the left of the Lower Pool back gate, putting on quite a show. The second Yellow Throated was more shy, opting to split away , found in a tree front of the Wellhouse , according to Paige .

Meanwhile, we had another rare warbler, a product like the Yellow Throated , a southern species migration overshoot. This time it's a PROTHONOTARY WARBLER. First found by Linda Ewing opposite the Boathouse in early morning, it stuck around through the day , visiting the Lily Pool above the Binnen Falls. I was lucky again running into Sean Sime who pointed out the bright golden yellow bird perched on a small water twig just below the octagonal overlook below the Binnen Falls. It shone brightly in the brilliant sun, staying there for over five minutes before flying to the shore closer to the Boathouse. However it ventures into the Lily Pool where it seems to like to circular that pond.

Other warblers are present including LOUISIANA, PALM and PINE. Bobbi Manian started her Tuesday walks for the Brooklyn Bird Club so I will wait for her report and post soon.

A good "working" day despite only a few spare minutes and thank goodness for my dry lunch hour!  Hopefully I'll remember taking my phone tomorrow morning.

Other Prospect good birds reported today: American Woodcock at Lily Pool back platform; Black Vulture and Broadwinged Hawk flyovers,both over the Boathouse the latter pasr 6 pm; Magnolia Warbler one of at least 8 species Warblers reported; 9 Wood Ducks western Lake; White-eyed Vireo at Three arches bridge and Lower pool back gate