Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Prospect Sept 5th Good Afternoons !

After work is becoming a fine time for me now. For the 2nd consecutive day, considering that birding isn’t always great in midafternoons, I get a little excitement.

I now shifted my homeward route to pass by the Falkill Falls and Center drive habitats. From the Three Arch Bridge, I happened to look up and noted 6 COMMON NIGHTHAWKS (CONI) flying over. It turns out they were feeding pretty high up with the hordes of CHIMNEY SWIFTS. It was overcast, perhaps this spurring the nighthawks to come out earlier than usual. But, I get to the Nethermead: its teeming with small flies, an explosive hatch out, in the 10s of thousands... Started to make me itch. As I crossed the Nethermead triangle, I count three more NIGHTHAWKS among Ring-billed Gulls over the Lullwater. Conservatively, my Nine...

Bobbi answered my tweet, and we watched the sky. We didn’t see any CONI, but a BALTIMORE ORIOLE, RED EYED VIREO & a few warblers appeared along the south tree edge. We parted as I needed to get home.

But I had to stop in my tracks ...again... For above the Maryland Monument, I see a soaring hawk: it’s a buteo. It turns out to be a BROAD-WINGED HAWK, soaring upward for yonder till it dropped out of its helix over the Peninsula meadow, & straight southeast over Breeze Hill. A few good sighting; some appreciation as I headed home.

Other reports, under slow action, came from Lookout Hill mulch path. Rob Bate reported a YELLOW-THROATED VIREO and WILSONS WARBLER.

This morning, along the south lakeshore by three Sisters Island, NORTHERN PARULA and BLACKPOLL WARBLERS showed up.

However, the Lake yielded its own worth. While I took a quick look, a drake AMERICAN WIGEON flew in, later seen in the later afternoon feeding with a WOOD DUCK by Three Sisters. 2 NORTHERN SHOVELERS fed upon duckweed near the west shore.

Speaking of Wood Duck, 5 are still in Upper Pool, 4 feeding on duckweed (must be delicious stuff), and one perched on the fallen Oak, 6 all together in the park.

Prospect Park, Kings, US-NY
Sep 5, 2012
Protocol: Incidental
32 species

Canada Goose  X
Mute Swan  6
Wood Duck  6
American Wigeon  1
Mallard  X
Northern Shoveler  2
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Ring-billed Gull  X
Rock Pigeon  X
Mourning Dove  X
Common Nighthawk  9
Chimney Swift  300     gnat or fly hatch out over Nethermead
Downy Woodpecker  1
Red-eyed Vireo  2
Blue Jay  1
Tree Swallow  1
Barn Swallow  X
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1
Veery  1
American Robin  X
Gray Catbird  X
European Starling  X
Northern Waterthrush  1
Black-and-white Warbler  4
Common Yellowthroat  3
American Redstart  5
Northern Parula  2
Yellow Warbler  1
Blackpoll Warbler  1
Northern Cardinal  X
Baltimore Oriole  2
House Sparrow  X

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)