Thursday, November 8, 2012

Feeder Finch Frenzy

With today's snows, our mindset wanders into winter perspectives. Barely two days after the feeders were set up, an invasion of finches descended on the feeders as witnessed by Rob Bate. With old and reliable news of siskin irruption, why not enjoy them at the thistle feeder ? And throw in lots of Purple Finches as well. If this big move by finches keeps up, I am gonna need to run more often to the store for more thistle....It looks like a long enjoyable winter for sure....We'll make friends with those feeders......


As Humphrey Bogart said in the movie Casablanca.  "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." .  

Oh, check out what the Grackle did....

*****
From Rob Bate

Evidently the park is still closed, I didn't find out till coming out of the park. The feeders were swarming with finches.


10+ Purple Finches

30+ Goldfinches

10 or so Pine Siskins

maybe 4 House Finches

also

Red Breasted Nuthatch

White Breasted Nuthatch

8 Fox Sparrows in the area

White-throats

Juncos

Chickadees

Downey Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

a Brown Creeper nearby

When I first arrived I saw a Grackle pick up a dead Goldfinch from the tray of the largest feeder and fly away with it. I can't imagine the Goldfinch just died there so I guess the Grackle killed it. Yikes!

Rob