Saturday, December 24, 2022

The gift of birds

 On likely the coldest Christmas Eve day in nyc, its the little gifts that count. A holiday season puts things in perspective especially for a birder. Frigid conditions rendered bird life inactive as I can attest all morning in Prospect park . With frozen toes to think about, I shortened my stay but seeing later Ryan Mandlebaums tweet of a pair of drake Common Mergansers, I needed to gift myself.

And so, I set out 315 to go see them,hopefully they stuck around. Arriving at West Island benches, I scanned Prospect Lake and found the distant rare ducks in the lake middle.Desiring a closer look but not much, my new spot from the rustic shelter improved the view as I watched admiringly the rare handsome large Common mergansers. Battling cold seeping thru my double layered gloves, I stuck out long as I could. I needed to enjoy them as what one does with a new gift.

All birds are gifts. To deeply appreciate them regardless the species means to do the best of our ability to preserve them for generations to come. They provide us with enjoyment, wonders, happiness,distraction from life and oneness with nature. So we need to return the gift of saving them and habitats.

As I turned to head home ,noting the fading light,the frigid cold getting to me- a battle hardened winter birder- I was met with surprise a large flock of Common Grackles feeding in a frenzy on the ground. I estimated about 350 of them as I followed them to the lawn Oval by Vanderbilt playground. Quite  a sight given the tough challenging circumstances.

But at the lucky moment, thats the gift of birds. 🌲🎁🐦

Merry Christmas everyone.

-kb