Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"sizzling" Lamppost 249 locale

For brief moments at a spot we birders or I named years ago, the Well Drive picnic tables before there weren't any -- hence the 249 label then -- "sizzled" with 5 species sparrows today during my short visits. Of course what I was looking for --the COMMON REDPOLL-- reappeared as usual.

Getting to the sparrows,topping the list was my first Prospect winter season AMERICAN TREE SPARROW. SWAMP SPARROW a bird I think from fall and counted on the CBC was seen along with FOX, DARK EYED JUNCO and WHITE THROATED.

Just after noontime, I found the REDPOLL on the snowy ground behind the fence,feeding upon fallen birch seeds. Good to see it hanging around.

Meanwhile nearby on the lake west shore open water,3 COMMON MERGANSERS remain. They are a "common " sight now for the past three weeks I believe.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S22163254