Thursday, September 17, 2020

Brotherly Love and Golden days

It's a day of brotherly love and Golden days with each Prospect park and Greenwood Cemetery seeing a rare species :namely Philadelphia Vireo and Golden winged Warbler .

If anyone is familiar with the term " Brotherly Love" it's the moniker used for the city of Philadelphia. ( Sorry Philly for using it for a Brooklyn borrow.) After Doug G found a Philadelphia Vireo in the Peninsula sumac Grove, Tom Stephenson found I heard three! This trifecta was seen in the vicinity of Butterfly Meadow. I tried my luck at lunch time where Tom's group saw the sumac bird but darn the harsh glare!

Meanwhile it's golden at Greenwood Cemetery. The first report of golden winged Warbler reported by Rob Jett pinpointed the bird on Central Avenue near the Pierrepont crypt; hours later Shane B found another --  an  adult male-- at the  intersection of Cypress and Grape Avenues..if I see the Ebird report I'll forward.

Getting back to Prospect, there were other good birds. In the sumac Grove,Yellow bellied Flycatcher and Nashville warbler occupied the same spot.. Tom's BBC Walk also found Tennessee and Bluewinged warbler plus Olive Sided Flycatcher on Lookout Hill. He usually sends me a report which of course I'll post here.