Wednesday, April 5, 2023

A disappearing act, glossy revelation

If you are one of those superstitious types,like me, about birds,yesterday's noontime experience was one of those moments.

Having lucked out looking for Prospects lake's common loon earlier, I tried my luck near lunchtime. From the west shore, I scanned the lake and I got the distant loon. But wanting a closer look at a breeding bird ,I started my work vehicle towards Three sisters islands.

Arriving, as my superstition expected, the bird is nowhere found. Despite ten minutes waiting and looking, the loon pulled a disappearing act.Birding is funny business you know?

Lunch beckons and I head back to my vehicle. Another looker through the islands and no dice.Then as I turned I instinctively looked up and lo behold, three Glossy Ibises are flying low over the islands,the flock heading southeast. Long legged slim dark ish black birds, this is my glossy revelation instead of a loon that's playing hide and seek with me. 😅

--
"A flower blossoms for its own joy." — Oscar Wilde