Wednesday, February 27, 2013

New Brooklyn Bird Club President Rob Bate March 1st


Rob Bate (left) assisting me with feeders setup last November ( photo from Bobbi Manian)

February 28th, 2013

RE: Brooklyn Bird Club Presidency transition

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.
                                               ----John F. Kennedy , 35th President of the United States

Dear club members, the birding community, and friends of the Brooklyn Bird Club:

Brooklyn Bird Club presidents come and go, and many there were over the glorious 100 years plus era of this venerated club founded June 5th at 166 St James Place (of Clinton Hill) by Dr Edward Vietor and his wife Kate, several other founders, along with the first BBC president, a youthful Edward Fleisher way back in 1909. Dr Vietor assumed the presidency as successor to Mr. Fleisher in eventual time. And so it goes: the torch passed on to the next president and then to the next president as it has for the past century. We are links in a chain that continues on.Change is an inevitability, an obligation that is necessary and significant for continued growth, new visions, and new ideas. The winds of change made this club prospered well and thrive on perpetually and with integrity.

Since 2000, I have tenured as the club president, most likely the only BBC president you have known if you have been a most recent resident of Brooklyn or to most club members of this small yet dynamic and legendary club. After all these quickly spent years, the toll affecting my creativity and desire becomes more significant. My tenure having bridged the two centuries with my hope the club in continuity sees its then new president in 2099-2100, my tenure needs to come to a close . The early seeds for my decision to step down one day were planted soon after the highly successful and spectacular Centennial year of 2009 and accomplished celebration in middle June of that year. It was then, after having achieved my main objective of seeing through the club's well deserved and spectacular 2009 Centennial festivity, along with my peers delegated to that centennial celebration, until the right person steps forward to succeed me, I  would then step down. The Brooklyn Bird Club Council was informed of my intentions last year in late 2012 and the search was on. In retrospect, I have served the club for over 20 years in some official capacity, previously serving as Treasurer for 8 years before ascending to the Presidency in 2000.

That day has finally come to relinquish my duty -- today,February 28th  , is my last day . Tomorrow, March 1st, Rob Bate takes over the Brooklyn Bird Club Presidency with acclamation by the Brooklyn Bird Club council.

In Rob, we have a fine candidate in taking this club forward. Rob enjoys excellent rapport with Brooklyn birders and beyond our borough. Furthermore, he takes an ardent passion in our environment, habitats, and conservation, which was my forte during my tenure ; my personal belief is that club presidents should possess conservation traits and advocacy, these Rob showing strong qualities in. Rob also plays a role in initializing efforts regarding park issues and the overall scope concerning birds and habitats. I offer Rob Bate hearty congratulations, gratitude, and I wish him all the best luck as the new club President. Do take the chance to meet Rob when you can, especially on his Tuesday Spring walks from the Bartel Pritchard park entrance beginning April 16th if you have yet to meet him. Check the trips page at http://www.brooklynbirdclub.org/trips.htm

There are so many folks for me to thank, the list like a fantastic birding day for numbers on a peaked spring day, perhaps far more, many friends I have met-- many new, many long- time over these fruitful years. Without my many wonderful supporters and positive feedback, I would not have accomplish well my job in guiding this amazing club that I have been involved with as a member for close to 35 years.

As for me, I won’t be like the “old soldier fading into the sunset” that General Douglas MacArthur quoted when he retired; General MacArthur will be wrong regarding me about his quote “fading soldiers”. You will still, as always, see me stomping around on these sacred Brooklyn birding grounds. After all, it would be difficult to take the “Brooklyn” out of this 5th generation native. Instead, I will repeat the quotation that I included in the last Clapper Rail newsletter when I relinquished my editor duties. And it’s a tribute to my fellow deaf personality, music giant and hero Ludwig Von Beethoven for speaking the right frame of mind: Off with you! You're a happy fellow, for you'll give happiness and joy to many other people. There is nothing better or greater than that! “ 

See you in the field and always good birding,

Peter Dorosh
Brooklyn Bird Club
President Emeritus