Friday, February 21, 2020

Blackbird feederfeast


Image result for blackbird nursery rhyme

"Sing a song of sixpence a pocket full of rye, Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie. When the pie was opened the birds began to sing, Oh wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king?"



My Prospect feeders are like a feast table, an actual pie for blackbirds bursting upon the scene:hence an analogy to the famous nursery rhyme often told to us when we were toddlers.

I refilled the feeders this morning as usual for the weekend. It took me about ten minutes and I didn't see much;of course I really wasnt looking well. When I left with one of the empty feeders to my work vehicle to fill from a very heavy bag, I turned around towards the feeders and lo and behold there's at least 45 Red-winged Blackbirds that invaded the feeders. Up on the feeders and many on the ground, these birds were stealthy and sneaky behind my back :)

Thanks to Rob Bate for donating more seed for me a 60 lb bag. That along with my 80 lbs should be able to make it to the final days of winter.

Have a good weekend. The Painted Bunting and Varied Thrush still remain on their long held wintering spots. Check the previous posts for locations.