Sunday, November 22, 2020

A personal new county boid

 When you have birded for 45 years, getting a new county Kings boid ( Brooklyn accented mind you) is news. My hope for the Greenwood cemetery Western Tanager dwelled on the vagrant sticking around. 

After early morning Catholic services, it was easy for me to drive down Fort Hamilton Parkway  a few blocks from my church to the  south entrance. Leaving my mother and older sister in the car, I hurried to the Yerkes crypt where the bird hung out in a sap rich yew tree. Fortunately my friend Charles Tang was already there and he pointed where it was. I succeeded getting a five second glimpse and then hurry back to my car for breakfast and shopping. I have a network of friends and birders to help me out! 😊

Charles asked me if I was going for the Ash throated Fly catcher. I said I didn't care for the fly catcher,I just wanted the tanager A few nearby birders chuckled at my comment. However I did go for that fly catcher in mid afternoon.That was a chase through the slopes south of Crescent Water; specifically Summit and Dale Avenues to the beginning of Cypress avenue, from various trees to alighting upon grave stones,the bird was a cooperative beauty. I have to thank  a few Birders whom I watched and figured they were on the bird. Turns out my keen observing paid off dividends.

I returned to the Yerkes Crypt and saw again the Western Tanager,for good measure and enjoyed a great looking bird. Hope it makes it,getting the urge to fly south. Its been here long enough.

After a week's wait,patience and luck was on my side.