Monday, November 23, 2020

in memoriam : Kevin Brooks

 I posted this cause I knew Kevin Brooks, one of those old time birders I was acquainted with for so many springs going back many years, at least my late 20's.When spring migration peaked, there was a core group of birding aficionados --before birding became super popular today--who enjoyed the Prospect warblers, our bread and butter family of spring icons. Lookout Hill's Butterfly Meadow often was our meeting ground.Before cellphones,texts,super fast bird alerts and the internet,we were the old timers of a different time not so long ago. Kevin was part of Prospect of a bygone era.

I found out in an email tonight from Kevin's wife who wanted to donate his birding observation logs ( yes, paper logs before the rise of Ebird) Kevin kept personally. Of course I'll take them cause its the right thing to do, to continue some legacy for Kevin if I find any Prospect records i can input into Ebird.

Kevin passed away from the dreaded Covid19 last April while traveling out west.

Kevin, I and several other old time birders are going to miss ya.. RIP

💔🐦