Friday, November 12, 2021

eBird Checklist - 12 Nov 2021 - Prospect Park--Prospect Lake - 16 species Inc Pintail duck

https://ebird.org/checklist/S97488793 

Contentment is achieved when I get a nice bird on a late walk. At my age it's no longer trying for numbers or rarities but simply giving in to nature's whims.

At my stationary vantage at west shore rustic shelter, there's no better place viewing the lake with late afternoon sun at my back. Colorful  Peninsula trees ablaze by the sun, it was an odd looking distant duck that caught my fancy along that shore,wading with two Double crested cormorants. I thought by it weird complexion and skinny neck it was maybe a Red breasted Merganser. I eventually lost sight of it with my cheap scope without a definitive answer.

About ten minutes later, I caught sight of this flying odd duck as it landed on the southwest corner waters. This time I quickly got on it and patiently watched it glide into west island cove. And that's how in good light and better views, I could identify it as a hen NORTHERN PINTAIL DUCK.

A good one for the park,uncommon in my opinion. In the past two weeks maybe three we had nice duck diversity since the surf scoter sighting. ( If you like Wood Ducks, check them out at West and also Duck Islands)

🦆