Friday, November 26, 2021

Friday non shop birding

 Black Friday is known as the biggest shopping day of the year. I prefer to bird. Its so much better to do rather than get caught up in the shopping craze.Regardless how my walk goes its the moments that count.


One of those moments of my mid afternoon walk took place south of West Island. Two ducks popped into view off the tip of the island. They were drake Ring necked Ducks, typically found in these cramped areas like coves and inlets or next to islands. They are cool looking ducks without any flashy plumages but I adore them.

A lone chilly walk around the lake without anything special led me to the feeders. And immediately upon arrival, I spotted a Fox Sparrow below the newest feeder. The bird was double clutching the leaves. I'm glad to get my first one of the season. 

A few moments later,I see another gorgeous bird ,the Carolina Wren feeding on the suet.Its reddish color and ochre tinted breast contrasts sharply with the gloominess of the day.

These moments are worth being in the outdoors most rewarding anytime than in any retail mall.