Friday, February 4, 2022

Janet Schumacher

I received sad news that Janet passed away peacefully last evening after a long battle with cancer.

For birders and readers here who knew her, I'm obliged to pass along word .

The Brooklyn Bird Club whom Janet was a huge part of --her family-  was to the club's great benefit will announce her passing on their website and social media.

I counted Janet among my good friends, one who attended many of my bird walks and trips particularly the weekend trips that were so memorable. She had a quiet compassion and kindness to everyone she met.Janet possessed a good heart with loyal, dependable qualities to friends and most appreciably to the Brooklyn Bird Club,her love.

 She was a major part of Brooklyn bird club activities serving recently as a Clapper Rail newsletter assistant and contributor. When I was club president, I was greatly thankful for her role in the club's centennial year of 2009 and it's June celebratory dinner that year,besides many other years she helped.

Janet had grit and a Wisconsin toughness when it came to winter walks and I was delighted to see her on those walks.

 In one particular weekend to Rhode island we 4 members Janet was part of ,trudged on despite -20 degree weekend wind chills and 28 miles later in three days, it was ,nevertheless, a fun memorable trip in that we saw 20 species ducks including Tufted Duck and Barrows Goldeneyes, 90 plus Harlequin Ducks and Short eared owls. It was a character building trip that championed the human spirit.

 Janet, Requiesce in pace

I won't forget you and thanks for the memories..

Peter.

A group photo overseas trip 
Bhutan: Punakha Dzong - 3/15/2010. Janet is fourth from the left, (in the lime green shirt). Photo courtesy of Steve Nanz