Saturday, February 5, 2022

Common merganser sticks around

Having no luck during the weekdays at work, finally today the hen Common Merganser sticks around into the afternoon.

With short time on time as I wanted to get back home to see the NBC winter Olympics showing my fave sport cross country skiing, I made a quick run for the hen merganser. The wide open waters on Three Sisters islands east side has been the home for the rare duck for awhile now. It was quite windy,winds whipping across Prospect Lake. Leaning against a tree serving as my wind block, I finally found my nemesis bird sleeping just off the Peninsula Thumb. Eventually it woke up and waded away from the ice edge , occupied by many Canada Geese. So it was a worthy walk seeing a gorgeous bird with ,a good result before me heading home in a circuit around the lake towards the feeders.

There was a report of Ring necked Duck on the lake this morning for your interest.

Numerous Grackles continue to clean out the feeders quickly. Not a good thing as it's tough to keep refilling more than once weekly with my busy work schedule.

Have a good Sunday.