Saturday, January 28, 2023

Today's sightings from my bird walk

I led the Brooklyn bird club walk today (6.88 miles) titled " Gullmania at western coast Brooklyn . Although there wasn't much to squawk about ,on this beautiful day a few things worth mentioning.

Off Veterans Pier (65th at), a nice number of Bonapartes Gulls I believe over 40 birds preoccupied our attention. Some were very close to the pier which offered good looks for new birders in my group.

Fast forward to Bush Terminal Pier park, a very unexpected and unusual sighting with two Black Vultures;Joe W spotted them thinking Ravens but turning out to be low flying Black Vultures. What's unusual is one bird perched on a light tower; it then flew off to landing on a rusty smokstack at Industry City, joining an already perched vulture there. Quite the highlight for our group not used to seeing perched vultures in the city.

The report including checklists will appear on my trips blog.

Good winter boiding
-Kb