Friday, October 2, 2026

Late warblers

Blue-winged Warbler (Vermivora cyanoptera) (1)
- Reported Oct 02, 2026 08:02 by Joe Weisbord
- McCarren Park, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.7198951,-73.9512669&ll=40.7198951,-73.9512669
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S398302758
- Comments: "Flagged late - adult male seen in Green Dome pollinator garden. Mostly yellow warbler w black eye line, blue/gray wings w white wing bars, olive back"

Bay-breasted Warbler (Setophaga castanea) (1)
- Reported Oct 02, 2026 07:16 by Forrest Wickman
- Prospect Park, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6602841,-73.9689534&ll=40.6602841,-73.9689534
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S398299433
- Comments: "Flagged for date: starting to get on the later side, I guess, and certainly not as common as the similar-looking fall Blackpoll Warblers, though I think this species wasn’t flagged just a couple of days ago. Weirdly one of the first warblers I saw today, before a few Blackpolls and at least one Pine later, but this chunky individual had a handy bay streak on its flanks. I raised my camera to attempt to document in the low light—this was Duck Island as the light first hit there in the morning—and it flew. Photo of a bare, just-vacated branch available." 


"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
— George Eliot

--