Friday, February 7, 2014

If there is snow..theres got to be a bunting!

My tracks up Payne Hill
I had embarked on a snowshoe adventure in the park ,much along into my tour when I get a text from Kathey Toomey.At Long Meadow,near the edge of the ballfields, she was watching a very rare SNOW BUNTING !

This Snow Bunting sighting was about 330 this afternoon.Unfortunately for me I left work early, at 3 than my usual 330 ,eager to get into my snowshoeing and my homeward "commute".The Bunting hung around close to under an hour...

I did get to see the continuing RED BREASTED MERGANSER where it stuck around for the third consecutive day at Prospect Lake. More interesting, 14 AMERICAN CROWS --call this murder ?-- were right above the waterfowl flock, cawing and chattering noisily atop first the ginko then the big mulberry.I thought they had an owl but that wasn't to be.

Winter is great for birds and recreation...An exhausting work week trumped by the double pleasure of xc skiing and snowshoeing in the same week  for me, that rarely happens in NYC.

My tracks across southern Nethermead
form Matthew Will:

Hey, Peter

I took a brief walk in the park today, highlights were 15 Am. crows, haven't seen this many at one time in BK for a while, and a female Rusty BB. Four unleashed dogs beat me to the waterfowl at the open water by the Peninsula, unfortunately.