Monday, March 31, 2014

Wintry like gloomy day

The weather remains gloomy and cold, but the RED-NECKED GREBE remains on Prospect Lake. Solitary in the lake middle, most times it sleeps but occasionally pops its head out. Guess its that cold.

On the lake perimeter , 52 RUDDY DUCKS, 2 RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, & 9 HOODED Mergansers are filling those areas.

The Binnen Pool has some new visitors, species I haven't seen awhile at that spot in a long time. A pair of WOOD DUCK snuck under the Silky Dogwood bush branches hanging over the shoreline.The ducks are sharing the area with a BLUE JAY, & several COMMON GRACKLES.

Over at Upper Pool, I saw on the island 9 WOOD DUCKS as I passed by in my work vehicle.

Some early spring passerines I saw this morning as well . Upon entering the park entrance at 16th street, a HERMIT THRUSH popped up upon a branch. EASTERN PHOEBES alighted on phragmite reeds at the north lake shore; one more at the Midwood.

I forgot to mention that on Friday (3/21) , at the pink Peninsula beach, an AMERICAN TREE SPARROW was hiding in a fallen limb at the fence line.

Hoping for warmer weather soon.....

KB

***********************

Report from Bobbi Manian

Hi Peter,

Good seeing you today.  Hope the new fencing helps!!

Here is my list from Greenwood. I did not see anything new but once the sun came out the birds that were there got very active. Of note I passed by all four lakes but did not see the redheads. I did not see the redheaded woodpeckers either but I didn't bird in the areas where I have previously seen them

Best 
Bobbi

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:
From: do-not-reply@ebird.org
Date: March 31, 2014 at 2:16:12 PM EDT
To: bobbi.manian@
Subject: eBird Report - Green-Wood Cemetery, Mar 31, 2014
Green-Wood Cemetery, Kings, US-NY
Mar 31, 2014 11:40 AM - 1:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.7.1
16 species

Canada Goose  6
Wood Duck  1
Mallard  4
Great Blue Heron  2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  8
Monk Parakeet  4
Eastern Phoebe  5
Blue Jay  6
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  200
Northern Mockingbird  4
European Starling  X
Song Sparrow  21
White-throated Sparrow  1
Dark-eyed Junco  17
Northern Cardinal  4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17682511

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)