Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Lesser Canada Geese Prospect

A good number of LESSER CANADA GEESE descended upon the closed off Prospect Ballfields at the west end of Long Meadow.Small bodied birds with intermediate sized bills makes it difficult for a birder to distinguish any Cacklings , which despite my hard worn studying didn't produce any to my satisfaction. The Cacklings would have to have stubby short bills. Several Lessers did approach the cackling size with darkish breast that had me hoping but I didn't bite with a misidentification.

During my lunch hour, most of the flock fed and rested between Field 4 to 7 on the south side of the Ball fields. I was able to see well enough with my bins, but a scope helps for close look at the bills.There is a mix of the usual Canada larger forms as well. But its possible I might have missed one in the rain... ( & bins are hard )

here's a primer

 http://www.sibleyguides.com/2007/07/identification-of-cackling-and-canada-goose/





Left is Cacklings, right is usual Canada per Sibleys

photo source : http://www.sibleyguides.com/wp-content/uploads/Branta_hutchinsii_BelmontMA_IMG_5303_2014-12-03_w.jpg