Sunday, March 27, 2016

An Easter egg is a loon

A friend remarked that seeing the RED THROATED LOON this Easter morning was how a kid feels when finding Easter eggs.Essentially he's right. How often does one get this species loon in Prospect let alone sitting on the water?

My traditional Easter Sunrise trek didn't look good with heavy cloud cover. Nevertheless I stuck around hopefully .I did some birding at lamppost 249 and heard singing Song Sparrows.Some White throated Sparrows worked the underbrush.Grackles abound as usual. And then after not seeing any hope of the sun's revelation,I walked slowly along the western Lake shore,homeward bound a little tired after the previous late night services .Then my "Easter egg".

Scanning the lake as I have been hoping for that elusive rare species,something whitish waded out of Three Sisters Islands strait.I scarcely believed my eyes but it's no mirage: it's a RED THROATED LOON!. Following thru ,texting as I walked quicker to get to that side of the lake,I re found the slim loon by Duck Island near the paddle boats. After several more Twitter tweets, the quite rare loon --when Common Loon is more likely--settled in at the back channel of Duck Island for multiple bad photos from my cellphone. It's a big deal with this rare species in Prospect Lake. When one event -- the sunrise - didn't occur,another blessing happened.

Delighted at my "egg ", I walked homeward and found some favorite songbird species as well. Behind Three Sisters,in low Tulip Tree branches,14 CEDAR WAXWINGS fed upon dried tulip flowers . I could fill my easter basket with more goodies.

Happy Easter.


http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S28575070