Sunday, February 28, 2021

eBird Checklist - 28 Feb 2021 - Prospect Park--Prospect Lake - 13 species

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82526665 

It seems my luck finally materialized with the raindrops.Because after four attempts I finally caught up with the Black headed Gull and an ice stationed Mew Gull.

With a plastic bag over my scope I arrived happy to see the west shore rustic shelter unoccupied .Nobody else was around...too bad. From here after ten minutes scouring the smaller than usual gull flock I spotted the Black headed gull. In among the Ringbilleds but not blocked I had terrific views in my 30 year old-- at least-- Kowa scope.

About ten minutes more I blessed my luck as I have now in open view left of the flock the immature Mew Gull. The light was good despite light raindrops and carefully checking off the diagnostic field marks, I can boast my personal find seen on the ice the Mew ( being the last time was a swimming bird).

I scanned the flock several times more hoping to get greedy with a third rare gull but instead I picked up the Mergansers.

The latter sighting with the Mergansers was a nice event. The drake Hooded flirted closely with the much larger Common hen. But methinks Hoodie she's not the right gal for you.

Wood Ducks are considered winter rare, so that species added bonus to my hour birding list. Winter birding --not everyone's cup of tea --is at times very rewarding.