Monday, November 4, 2013

Brooklyn Bridge park visit 11/4

I took a visit to Brooklyn Bridge Park (BBP), a change of scenery as I mentioned in a previous post,  to try to help out the staff there with bird inventorying , to establish more avian history of this very new park ( that will have a forest like pier 3 in the future) .BBP is a great addition at that coastal spot, one that in my opinion wont have huge fallout numbers ( or that could be a maybe) with the great native habitat lush with sumacs, oaks, flowers, grasses, hawthorns, and other native flora.

Anyway, with the ponds and water course , birds will come. The best bird I saw , against the loud unappreciative din of a pipe borer, thunderous it was, , I saw a FIELD SPARROW along the path near the crossover bridge to the Heights. That was a big surprise , not for the species, but how close it was to that horrible noise.  All around, sparrows were common, as well as HERMIT THRUSHES. The paths thru the wonderful habitat gave it a feel of walking into a forest  with the overhanging foliage. very colorful . I saw at once 5 SWAMP SPARROWS in the bog like pond. See my previous pics.

Brooklyn Bridge park  already has a 4 year bird history , on Cornells Ebird. I heard a week ago,an Orange Crowned Warbler was seen here. So, there is great hope for the place and if one birder is satisfied just seeing a few species, so then BBPark is a place to go to.

I met a young birder there, Heather Wolf who leads regular , weekly walks . She sent me info about the walks , when it starts and where. So, if you are interested, or live in the area, the birding is great especially with the backdrop of the Brooklyn Bridge and the NYC skyline.Check out Heather's webpage below.

Hi Peter


It was great meeting you in Brooklyn Bridge Park this morning!

Here is my bird walk meetup group if you want to check it out. There are a lot of members, but I usually only have 3-5 people show up for the walks.

I checked eBird and it looks like I can't share my user and all checklists at once with you. They really should add that feature!

Anyway, there are 3 locations in BB Park when exploring data in eBird, I submit mine in the hotspot bubble that's further south on the eBird map. The other two have Pier 1 as their location, but I bird starting at Pier 6 so use a different location. I've attached a screenshot with an arrow pointing to the spot I use.

Have a great day!

Heather

--
Heather Wolf
Founder
JuggleFit LLC
347.217.4579
heather.wolf@jugglefit.com
http://jugglefit.com


My list

date = 2013/11/05
site = Prospect Park
observers = Peter , Pier ONE area

Double-crested Cormorant 8
Gadwall 7
American Black Duck 
Canada Goose 
Mallard 
Ring-billed Gull 
Herring Gull 
Rock Pigeon 
Mourning Dove 
Eastern Phoebe 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
American Robin 8
Hermit Thrush 14
European Starling 
Yellow-rumped Warbler 
Swamp Sparrow 6; 5 in first pond
White-throated Sparrow 
Song Sparrow 4
Dark-eyed Junco common
Field Sparrow 1
House Sparrow