Sunday, December 6, 2020

A crisp day for a walk

 Cutting through prospect park is an ideal opportunity for birding if you are going for errands on 9th Street. You never know what you might see along the way. And for a single moment worth having,that's enough.

Near the western lake shore rustic shelter, under the three Sweet gum trees I looked up and spotted a perched accipiter.Before I got my bins on it it flew off over the lake.I happened to see Karen O and we conversed a short while.During. this time the accipiter flew back to the sweet gum on our right and we immediately recognized an adult COOPERS HAWK.It was a gorgeous looking bird and I hope it sticks around to keep early winter exciting-- to spice up the scenery. It stayed there perched the whole time,constantly swiveling its head.

Ironically Karen mentioned the same thing occurred with an adult SHARP SHINNED HAWK at the feeders.It refused to budge for at least an hour ; of course no songbird is going to venture in view to become breakfast.

My quick stop at the feeders revealed the usual species. But the platform feeder hosted a male and female Purple Finch. On my return visit an hour later, I watched the wonderful reddish brown CAROLINA WREN take its pickings on the plat feeder before alighting on the suet feeder for some greasy delights. A bonus transpired with the colorful RED BELLIED WOODPECKER. 

Before I exited the park at Greenwood Ave,a look up into the three sweet guns where I see the Cooper's Hawk in the same tree as before. So I asked myself: has it been waiting all this time for me to come back?