Saturday, October 8, 2022

Sparrowy Locust Grove

Looking to relax the day after coming home on a long drive, I simply wanted to get out and bird. Acting on a tweet yesterday to get motivated I decided to try my luck for Greenwoods Lark Sparrow.

Locust Grove on the GWC map is bordered by Southwood,Locust and Vale Avenues. It has paths named after the seasons that I think is pretty cool. I started my entry on the Summer Path where purportedly the Lark Sparrow was.Some sparrows were on the slope --among them a cool looking juvenile White crowned Sparrow with Songs.

 At the junction of Summer and Spring paths there was an abundance of sparrows hiding in the slope edges and crypt wall. Hence I turned about and waited. The patience for the next half hour produced Lincoln, Field, Chipping and White-throated sparrows , the latter three in single number each feeding above the short wall behind the bench. Just delightful. Later on the wall I leaned against, several Savannah sparrows perched on that wall.

In all at Locust Grove,I counted eight species sparrows, adding Juncos.

 A number of flickers and robins and always the favorite Blue Jay added quaint fall moments.

At Dellwater,  though the sun glare was too strong for me to see, a Summer Tanager became a good catch of the day by birders stationed there. In the weeds inside the pond Goldfinches and maybe one or two Indigo Bunting continued feeding. I was happy to see ruby crowned kinglet on the ground adding to my personal list Golden crowned seen earlier on Cypress Ave.

It was a perfect birding day meeting friends and other acquaintances on this gorgeous autumn day.