Monday, April 8, 2013

late Prospect report

from Gabriel Willow




Subject: Prospect Park L. Waterthrush etc. From: gabriel willow Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:38:50 -0700 X-Message-Number: 3 In spite of the cool and very windy conditions, I had a pretty productive day in Prospect Park (I was outside in the park all day for work). There were large numbers of Red-winged Blackbirds and American Robins everywhere, including some big, dark individuals of the latter that I suspect are heading to Atlantic Canada. �Also seen were numerous Eastern Phoebes: at on point on the Peninsula I had 5 in one tree. �Overall I'd say I spotted at least a dozen.A nice bright male Pine Warbler was working the trees near the Binnen Pool. My best sighting of the day was a Louisiana Waterthrush bobbing and wagging along the retaining wall at the edge of the Peninsula, just to the south of the fishing beach. �There was also a flock of 5 Ruddy Ducks; the males have molted into their beautiful breeding plumage.Swooping over the Lullwater was a mixed flock of Tree and FOY Barn Swallows. Near the Boathouse there was an Osprey soaring overhead along with several Red-tailed Hawks. �While I was standing there, an object fell from the sky at great speed and hit the ground with an audible thump. �I thought it was a high-tossed football. �But then it sat up and revealed itself as a male American Kestrel. �He lifted off with a sparrow of some sort in his tallons, calling a victorious "kli-kli-kli-kli". �Impressive.� Tomorrow I begin my twice-weekly walks in Bryant Park; hopefully there will be some migrants to see there as well. Happy Spring, Gabriel WillowNYC Audubon