Friday, March 22, 2019

Osage Orange Party and three hens

Related imageRaindrops kept the park quiet so as I went along my workday appreciating the quiet, until a little "party" under the Osage Orange tree struck my fancy.

The Nethermead Osage Orange with the double iron bars offered the best hi light today as the storm didn't create much bird action. I happened to drive by just seeing Starlings walking and pecking the ground under the iconic tree. But as a personal habit, its always good to check over a flock. As I looked thru my bins, what escaped my naked eye, I saw thru my bins a RED BELLIED WOODPECKER feeding with three BLUE JAYS and AMERICAN ROBINS; then a BROWN COWBIRD walked by accompanied by at least 7 RED WINGED BLACKBIRDS. And for bonus, one of the male Redwings puffed up its red epaulets, in full glory. I guess the Osage Orange party is in full swing.

ON the lake, its the story of three hen COMMON MERGANSERS. In the early dismal light, I spotted in the distance in the lake middle the three hens. I go over to the Peninsula to get a closer look, only to see they moved over towards the western section more to the southern shore.Then I head back to the western shore where I was previously only to  then see them at the Peninsula shoreline near the thumb's front by Phragmites.. I guess they were avoiding me.  Later an hour or so ,I saw them in the lake middle again.

Winds are forecasted to blow hard tonight into tomorrow. That's potential for perhaps more stuff to blow in , as lot as you can brave the breezes.


PS there was a report from yesterday the Common Redpoll visited the Greenwood Cemetery feeders at Dellwater. Today someone was there but didnt see the bird.Its hit or miss time.