Sunday, March 17, 2019

Happy St Patrick's day in Greenwood

It's a celebratory day in Greenwood Cemetery with the green not only in the name but also the green paths that led me to finding tremendous luck for target birds. I missed yesterday those targets but succeeded today. Go figure.

First target bird was the Common Redpoll. Yesterday I searche high ,low,and wide for this bird with a near miss. Then late yesterday it was reported in a new location the Dellwater including a feeder visit afte spending days in Southwood Ave areas. Then this morning from another tweet , it stayed put but characterized as tough to see despite calling

After my morning services and family breakfast,I decided to try my 1/8 Irish luck. It worked! As soon as I drove to Crescents water,I got out and bumped into Karen O and Janet Z who told me the Redpoll was visiting the uphill thistle feeder. I made my way up there where several birders had their bins up.
 I did likewise quickly. The first bird I saw was the COMMON REDPOLL. Too easy after yesterday's hard luck.

Look for the thistle feeder along the uphill Dell Path where it starts from the pond right side from Crescent Ave. This Redpoll also visited a thistle feeder at the water edge in case you need it

After that lucky find,the woodcock was my next nemesis bird.After several stops I have seen them in the past,I struck out on all of them. I did to my delight enjoyed my favorite warbler,two PINE WARBLERS on the ground at Central and Oakleaf Ave. Their greenish backs qualified them for this St Patrick's day.

Then as a last chance before I decided to head home I tried my woodcock luck at the Wistaria Path near the Prospect Park West Ave entrance.

Walking thru the shadows cast by Laurel or rhododendron shrubs I looked towards the Wistaria where a person walked along and suddenly I saw a woodcock whizzed towards me! It quickly landed just 6 feet from me behind a grave. It turned sort of obscenely ,fanned it tail at me,flashed its booty and took off over the grave stone! I wished I had the foresight of videotaping that but it all happened less than five seconds. I watched the timberdoodle fly away towards the reknown Civic Virtue statue. I followed but decided I've seen enough. It was a dirty boid anyway. 😄

A great day, with my Irish eyes now smiling.  ☘💚

PS Eastern Bluebird reported at Hillside Path ( Preston), Red shouldered hawk flyover (O'Hearn), Rusty Blackbird along Dellwater shore