Thursday, March 14, 2019

summary of todays hilights

The Greenwood Cemetery Redpoll stays put.

 A single COMMON REDPOLL continues its prominence in the south side of Greenwood Cemetery, staying within the area of Dell and Oakwood Avenues as reported by Ryan Goldberg. Its continues to hang out with the 60 plus American Goldfinch flock, feeding on sweetgum seeds. A later report from Ryan Mandlebaum places the Redpoll 100 feet south of the Dell  Oakwood Intersection. Hopefully it will stick around till Saturday despite multiple observers of recent days.

AMERICAN WOODCOCK  is the other highlight in Greenwood Cemetery. Although I dont have exact location details, the timberdoodles are bound to be flushed as 4 birds were reported this morning by Orrin Tilevitz.

Although my busy job keeps me from getting to see the Redpoll ( as the cemetery closes at 5 pm), I was happy to see "duckversity" in Prospect Lake. Near or within the western section of Prospect Lake, 5 RINGNECKED DUCKS  are by West Island. A further scan revealed a pair of BUFFLEHEADS and WOOD DUCKS, the continuing RED BREASTED MERGANSER, Black Duck, Shoverlers , Ruddy and the usual Mallard. I guess I found 8 or 9 species.