Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Passing of a great border,whom I met a number of times

Fyi other Brooklyn birders.. A really sweet guy...

Subject: Sad News for the NY Birding Community
From: Shaibal Mitra <Shaibal.Mitra@csi.cuny.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 18:43:25 +0000
X-Message-Number: 5

Seymour (Sy) Schiff passed away on Thursday, January 14, at the age of 93. I learned this from his dear friend Joe Giunta, who had been in touch with Sy regularly and made inquiries when he couldn't be reached. I understand that a service has already been held, but I will discuss with Joe how we birders might join in honoring him.

From his years writing the Kingbird seasonal reports for New York City and Long Island, to his gentlemanly and erudite omnipresence around Jones Beach, to his more wide-ranging birding adventures later in life in Joe's company, Sy touched New York's birding community deeply. He will be missed deeply by many, many people.

I know that Sy saw at least 402 species of birds in New York State, and just this morning I was thinking of encouraging and helping him to try for the Spotted Towhee, very near his home in Baldwin. That will never happen, but I will spend some time tonight with my memories of many birds I saw with Sy.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore