Sunday, January 24, 2021

Nashville Warbler at Red Hook

Pier 44 Waterfront Garden, Kings, New York
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=40.6757764,-74.018366&ll=40.6757764,-74.018366
- Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S79845928
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "A sad, cold, and lonely warbler with yellow throat, chest and undertail coverts, gray hood, eyering and tiny sharp bill. I'm trying to come up with something this could more plausibly be than a Nashville for the weather and season but without luck. I was heading for the Conover St. entrance to the Waterfront Garden Park, across from the Food Bazaar exit, when a thin "seep" call note caught my attention. Just above in the small oak tree on the edge of the street I immediately saw this warbler. I only had it in my binoculars for a few seconds before it moved within the tree and I decided photos might be more fruitful. To my eye you can see in all of these photographs a hint of the russet/red crown patch of a Nashville. However you can also see what looks like a hint of wingbars, which is less expected. The bird then dropped down amongst the construction materials that are now collected in the parking, lot on the other side of the fence, and I was unable to refind !
 it."